Wednesday, November 29, 2006

AVATAR

If you are a regular visitor to this blog, you would have noticed the word avatar popping up once in a while under the scroller of my chatterbox. In this post, I would like to tell those who are in the dark about what an avatar is.
An avatar (abbreviations include AV, ava, avy and avvie) is an Internet user's representation of himself/herself, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games, a two-dimensional icon used on Internet forums and other communities, or a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user.
In simple English, an avatar is a small graphic, up to 100x100 pixels that you can use to represent yourself online. It can be your picture, or a picture of your favorite star or movie character - or something different altogether. The above graphic is the avatar that I have created for myself. Doesn't it look a lot like me? Heh! Heh! Actually, the pictures that I have put by the side panel are also my avatars.
To learn more about Avatars and how to create them, please visit the following sites:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/games/create/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(virtual_reality)
Avatarity.com

No comments: