Tuesday, January 09, 2007

EARNEST STUDENT

I must share an interesting episode that happened to me today. One student by the name of Khairil came to see me at around 1.15 p.m. and asked if I was having a meeting with the librarians this afternoon at 3.30 p.m. Since I had just taken over the reins of the library and was not familiar with who the librarians were, I had thought that he too one and wanted to confirm the time with me. He kept telling me that he lived near Lekir and since he had to go home at 2.30 p.m., he might not make it on time to see me at 3.30 p.m. Anyway, I told him that he could come later.
Well, when I reached the library at 3.30 p.m., he was there waiting for me. But what was most surprising was that he was not a librarian as I had thought but one of the school prefects. It seemed that he had wanted to ask me to give him tips on learning English. He had asked me last week and I must've told him that I'd be in school on Tuesday afternoon to train the librarians. Now, the most shocking finding for me was that this boy Khairil had cycled all the way from his house, somewhere near Lekir, which took him about 45 minutes. I was very touched by how earnest he was to improve his English and readily agreed to coach him and also allowed him to join my extra classes. The reason I am relating this story is because I want to see more of such hunger for success from my other students. Let this be an example to all.
I am pictured above with Khairil from 5PKEE4. Note the T-shirt I am wearing is standard attire for all the teachers from both the language departments.

No comments: