Tuesday, July 18, 2006


THREES COMPANY

I had actually planned to do a write-up on Encik Zaki but since I left the notes of him in school, I shall do the next best thing and tell you about my friendship with him and Cikgu Sahak.
I first reported for duty at this school in June, 1995 after completing my studies in England. Encik Zaki had actually reported just a month earlier than I. He too had completed his first degree. Encik Sahak, on the other hand, was one of the pioneer teachers in this school having been here since 1991.
I could clearly remember that the first class I was given to teach was the MRTV class. At that time, they had five periods of English instead of two. So, I had spent a lot of time at the MRTV Workshop which was situated in the present, Electronic Workshop. The three of us were also put in charge of the The Audio Visual Room, now the Mathematics Room, for the first two years I was here. I also taught the MRTV class for two years. Unfortunately, when the school was upgraded to a technical school, I was not given any MRTV class to teach. The teaching periods I was given also increased and I was also put in charge of the sick bay and was the head of the Physical Education and Health Education Department. Later I became the Head of the English Department. So, I saw less and less of my two friends. They were actually very cross with me for neglecting them and I could feel the negative vibes emanating from them. Then I was offered a scholarship to do my masters degree for two years and it was during this time that I managed to re-establish cordial ties with them. You see, I had done full research for my studies and my samples were from all the schools in Seri Manjung. So, even though I was not teaching but I came back regularly to school and sat at the workshop while waiting to observe and interview the teachers in other schools. Besides, Tuan Haji Ahmad Hasnin and Encik Ishak Ismail who have always been very supportive and helpful in my endeavours, these are the other two teachers who helped me a lot during the course of my research. When my audio recordings were faulty, it was Encik Zaki who helped to retrieve them for me. When my tape recorders, computer, printer and other research gadgets went haywire I came running to the workshop and either one of them would repair them for me. Both of them not only gave technical support but also words of encouragement when I was worried or frustrated with my samples or write-ups. I am actually very blessed to have friends like them and lest I neglect them again, please someone come and hit me on the head.

The picture above is of the three of us. Some people might be superstitious because they say it is not good to have three people in a photo. But according to Feng Shui, it is okay if the three are not sitting or standing in a line. You see the inverted triangle formation. This is supposed to be good. Besides, according to Feng Shui all our zodiac signs are in very good harmony and we are allies.

No comments: