Monday, September 22, 2008


'DUIT RAYA'
Look at me and the money. My friends and colleagues will be celebrating Hari Raya Aidil Fitri soon and one of the things that they must prepare is the "Duit Raya" or festive money to be given to the children during the festival.
When I was in England, I found that the Muslims there who were not Malaysians did not practise the giving of duit raya. Neither is it done in the Arab countries. I think this is a tradition that is peculiar to Malaysian culture. Some of my friends told me that when they were younger, there was no such thing as Raya packets but now we have it. We even have Deepavali packets. Similarly, rendang and nasi himpit are served during open houses for Chinese New Year and Deepavali. Without realising it, the customs of the different races of our country have been fused together resulting in a uniquely Malaysian custom.

No comments: