Thursday, September 10, 2009

BENEFITS OF MINT LEAVES



I found out that mint leaves are very beneficial to health and decided to make some mint leaf tea. Let me convince you why I have gone through all the trouble to make the leaves. For your information, I tried looking for the mint tea at the supermarkets but couldn't find any and so made up my mind to dry my own mint leaves .

The mint leaves can be consumed, fresh or dried. Fresh mint is usually preferred over dried mint if they are easily available. The leaves have a pleasant warm, fresh, aromatic, sweet flavour with a cool aftertaste. Afterall we do have mint flavoured toothpaste.

  • Mint is a herb and does not contain caffeine.
  • Some people consume mint after meals as the oils stimulate the flow of bile to the stomach and helps relieve gas pains.
  • Mint sweetens the breath and calms the digestive system, plus it helps heartburn, stomach ache and nausea.
  • Mint contains B vitamins, calcium and potassium.
  • Mint is known to contain a phytonutrient called perillyl alcohol, which has been shown in studies on animals to prevent the formation of colon, skin and lung cancer.

No comments: