Sunday, September 13, 2009


THE NIGHT OF POWER

As Malaysians, we should have knowledge of the religions of the other races in our country to better understand our countryman and also be more respectful and tolerant of their ways. Therefore I have always taken it upon myself to ask and learn more of the Hindus, Sikhs, Muslim and Christian religions, myself being a Taoist.
I was told by my Muslim friends that one of the nights of the last 10 days of the Ramadan month is called Lailatul Qadar لیلة القدر or the Night of Power. This is one of the holiest and most blessed nights, which is likely to occur on one of the odd nights on the last ten days of Ramadhaan.

I was told that during this period, Muslims should spend their nights in worship and seek forgiveness, reward, and blessings as it is described as being greater in blessedness and spiritual virtue than 1,000 months.

For Muslims, the last ten days should be a time to perfect their fast and avoid anything that may break it. It is a time to give more charity and to settle disputes and forgive one another. It is also a time for soul searching, evaluating one’s life, supplicating, and asking forgiveness. This should be done sincerely because if God accepts the supplications, the reward is the remission of one’s sins. The best time to do it is in the last part of the night. And I also learnt that the angels and Gabriel will all descend down onto earth for many purposes.

So I am sure that all my Muslim colleagues and students will be busy praying during these last 10 nights. If they have done as described above then maybe they will be lucky enough to get the Lailatul Qadar.

No comments: